I have been flying DJI drones since 2013 and the DJI Mavic Air 2 was an exciting upgrade for me. Prior to upgrading, I had been flying the original Mavic Air for 2 years and have been quite happy with it. The only complaints I had was I wish the flight time was longer and the range farther. The fixed both of these issues with this upgrade. It also comes with a newly designed controller which is physically larger but has larger internal battery that will charge your phone as well as improved ergonomics. I am very happy with the upgrade and love flying this drone.
Purchase Date: May 28th 2020
We Got Ours By: Full-Priced New Purchase
We Paid: $988 (USD)
Lowest Price: $988 (USD)
Highest Price: $1000 (USD)
Even though this upgrade does not use the familiar DJI Go 4 app and instead uses the new DJI Fly app that is not as feature complete, I believe over time it will improve to be just as capable. For the price of this drone, there is nothing out there that can really compete with it. DJI has the most locked in flying experience of all of the recreational photography drones available. If you are willing to accept the issue of DJI’s data privacy concerns, there is not much you can complain about this drone.
Would We Recommend it? Yes
- More than 30 minutes of flight time in ideal conditions
- Longer range and stronger connection than original Mavic Air
- Higher resolution live view during flight
- 4K, 60FPS mode for high resolution slow motion video
- 48 megapixel photo mode
- Quieter propellers
- Larger controller
- Uses new app with less features than DJI Go 4
- Potential problems with DJI’s data privacy concerns
- Availability might be affected by the trade war with China
- Up Your Game: The Mavic Air 2 camera drone takes power and portability to the next level. It combines a powerful camera with intelligent shooting modes for stunning results. Push your imagination to its limits because aerial photography has never been this easy.
- Next-Level Content: Capture impressive 48MP photos with a 1/2-inch CMOS sensor while the 3-axis gimbal provides 4K/60fps video. The secret to incredible HDR video is a high-performance Quad Bayer image sensor. OcuSync 2.0 has a video transmission distance of up to 6.2mi / 10 km and can also deliver 1080p FHD resolution livestream directly from the drone’s camera.
- Improved Flight: An impressive flight time of up to 34 minutes allows you to pull off epic, fast-paced shots. Obstacle sensing in three directions makes it extra convenient for beginners and improves safety for your Mavic Air 2.
- Intelligent Tracking: Mavic Air 2 features intuitive shooting functions that make aerial photography easier than ever. Spotlight 2.0 keeps the camera locked on a subject while you fly freely. ActiveTrack 3.0 keeps subjects centered. POI 3.0 tracks moving subjects like people and vehicles.